On a cold snowy day what could be better than cookin’ up some warm tasty soup? Well nothing could be better, so that’s why you should do it! This recipe I have made many times and it just keeps getting better every time I make it! It’s very easy, not many ingredients and it’s so good!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small diced white onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 32 – 62 ounces of chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (1 can of fire roasted tomatoes are better)
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups loosely-packed spinach
- black pepper
- Optional toppings: parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil in large pot – medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes or until onions are soft.
2. Add carrots, celery and garlic, saute for an additional 3-4 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, rice, thyme, oregano, rosemary and stir to combine.
4. Bring soup to a simmer and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat to a medium – low and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is done.
In the meantime I like to bake some bread.
- Cut the bread into desired thickness.
- In a small bowl add olive oil, lemon pepper, black pepper, rosemary and 21 seasoning. Stir together.
- Butter one side of the bread with non-dairy butter
- Place on baking pan butter side down
- On the side that is facing up, coat with olive oil seasoning mixture
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for 5 minutes or until lightly crispy
Back to the soup!
5. Add in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes. Taste the soup and season with pepper as needed.
6. Feel free to add more thyme, oregano and rosemary if you’d like!
7. Serve soup warm with bread and if you can eat dairy, add parmesan cheese!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s one of Chad and I’s favorites!